Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cauliflower Mash

When  I think of cauliflower, I think of semi warm, microwave-heated cauliflower florets. It's not appetizing, and it is generally bland, and I don't get excited about it. My dad was diagnosed with cancer in his right kidney, and recently had to have it removed. He also had type 2 diabetes. Although he is no longer medicated for it, and now has only one kidney, eating healthy is an important aspect of his life now. And I like to try new recipes to share with him.

My husband and I decided to give making "Cauliflower Mash" a go. It's a take on the well-loved, high carb mashed potatoes. I was apprehensive if it would be as tasty as the pictures made it looked, but lo and behold it was! What a fantastic substitute. It's definitely one of those foods you make, and you don't feel like you're missing out on anything- it's that good.

This is the original recipe I used, but with a few modifications: Garlic Mashed Cauliflower.

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Ingedients:
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, smashed (or minced)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3-4 tablespoons of low fat cream cheese
3/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Directions:
1. Cut your cauliflower into florets, if not already done.
2. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, about 10 minutes.
 3.  Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat; cook and stir garlic until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4.  Transfer half the cauliflower to a food processor; cover and blend on high. Add remaining cauliflower florets, small scoops at a time, until vegetables are creamy. Blend in garlic, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, salt, and black pepper. (I did the rest of the ingedients one at a time, but I am not sure that made a huge difference, but I did want to note that!)



 We served ours with mini turkey meatloaves and corn! It was delicious!!!

1 comment: