Monday, September 9, 2013

Gym woes.

Sometimes I do not want to go to the gym. It's just how it goes sometimes. It happened last Friday and again today. I tend to feel unusually guilty about missing a gym day without a valid enough excuse. Talk about hard on one's self. It's okay though. Last week the deal I made with myself was gym for 30 minutes or cleaning for an hour. Well, cleaning for an hour actual won out, and I am glad it did. I was able to tackle cleaning my stove, getting the house swept, the kitchen mopped, and the living room and dining room vacuumed. Today productivity did not ensue although I missed the gym. I did manage to empty the dishwasher and get some pictures hung that have been sitting on my entry way table for about a month. So it was a step in the right direction. At least a few things got done.

But sometimes, we need a break, and we need to feel okay about taking that break. I once heard that you need to talk to yourself like your best friend, and best friends generally don't insult or shame us when we make what we deem a "bad" decision.

I think there is a difference between being a friend to yourself and self-sabotaging. Now maybe a friend would tell us it was okay that we had that slice of cake for dessert despite our eating plans, but a best friend would also remind us how we're going to do better next time, and in my case, encourage me to go to the gym tomorrow instead. There is a delicate balance between making up excuses and listening to what you need!

Remember to love yourself! You need to be your own best friend, your cheerleader and your coach!


No comments:

Post a Comment