Sunday, February 9, 2014

Kids' Valentine's Day Cards Round 2



Micah agreed that we could make Super Hero Lollypop Valentine's Day cards. I wish I could come up with my own ideas, but I am not that original yet.

Instructions/Printables

The instructions are here at the Little Bit Funky blog.
The printable graphics are here at Less Ordinary Designs.

Cape Template 

 
Cape Template PDF

There is no cape template so my husband made mine for me which you can download by clicking this sentence or the above picture! When you print it, make sure your  page scaling is set to none, otherwise it won't print to the right scale. I put measurements on the cape so you can verify that yours printed correctly.


You need:

2 inch circle punch and scissors
1 hole punch (which I already had and did not include in cost)
Felt (the blog recommends stiff felt, but I just bought the regular flimsy kind.)
Ribbon
Lollypops
Glue
Cape Template
Printables
Sharpie (to trace cape template on felt)






You can either use a 2 inch punch or scissors to cut out the circle. I recommend this Fiskars Squeeze Punch, the X-Large size is the one that cuts 2 inch circles.I bought mine at Michael's and used a 40% off coupon, which reduced the costs from $16.99 to $10.19. What a deal!




Based on my cape template, I was able to fit 9 capes on each piece of 9x12 felt square. The total felt cost was $1.65. Because I printed the printables 4 times each, I needed 1 of blue, black, green, and 2 of red.




I bought 4 spools of cordinating ribbon for $3.49.


I used some Aleen's tacky glue to adhere my Super hero logos to the felt, and it worked fine. I gave it about 20-30 minutes to dry before assembling the super hero lollypops.  I used regular computer paper, when I printed my logos up, but I would highly recommend using some sort of cardstock. The glue won't appear as much, and the colors usually look nicer printed on cardstock.


Lastly I bought 3 bags of Tootsie pops. I could have just purchased two, but I wanted a variety of colors since which colors you get is random. The total cost was $6.72.

Total cost: $22.05
If you already have a punch, then it cost even less to do this project! Definitely more expensive than regular V-Day cards, but so worth it, since they are SO cute!

I am really pleased with how the Valentine's cards came out and I think the kids will be too.


No comments:

Post a Comment